The Andean Mountain Range runs right through the heart of Ecuador in a region known as La Sierra. The region contains majestic mountains, snow-topped volcanos, hot springs, valleys, waterfalls, forests, delightful towns and historical cities, and pleasantly mild weather. The capital city, Quito, boasts a world famous historical district. And it’s right near the “Mitad del Mundo”, the Middle of the World - The Equator.
Things to do
- Climb a volcano in a mountaineering expedition
- Hike the Quilotoa Loop and visit charming rural villages
- Go bird watching in the protected Mindo-Nambillo Forest
- Buy handicrafts in Otavalo on market day
- Visit Mitad del Mundo and stand between two hemispheres